The first settlers came to the area in 1851, and residents constructed its first school in 1855. A larger school was built in 1877, followed by another—the Tenney school in 1894—to keep up with the growing population.
The Tenney school building was destroyed by a fire in 1924. In 1925, a new brick school was built at 134th Street and Highway 99. This school eventually consolidated with the Felida School in 1950 to form Felida-Salmon Creek District No. 116.
In 1954, that district consolidated with Vancouver School District and the school moved to a larger school building.
Other historic moments:
2003-2004 — Salmon Creek Elementary is rebuilt and dedicated.
January 2005 — Travis Hays 21st-Century Learning Center opens.
September 2005 — A recycling and composting program is implemented district-wide, after Salmon Creek and Chinook elementary schools help pilot the program the previous year.